How I can help you
I am a 25-year veteran of the Kalamazoo and surrounding areas marketing and communications community.
My career has centered around marketing and communication activities for nonprofits, education, and small business. I started my career as the Communications Specialist for Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek, MI, then was recruited by Kalamazoo advertising agency Lawler Ballard to work with the Michigan Departments of Agriculture and Education, as well as the Michigan Grape and Wine Industry Council. Our agency was involved in the launch of Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo.
After founding Hannah/Gold Communications, I developed and implemented full-service communications activities for nonprofits and educational institutions including Heritage Community of Kalamazoo, Family & Children Services, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo Chamber of Commerce, The First Tee, and Community Promise Federal Credit Union. Educational clients included WMU, KVCC, Kenowa Hills Public Schools (Grand Rapids), Harper Creek Community Schools (Battle Creek), and Fitzgerald Public Schools (Detroit). Small-business clients include Light of Prayer Rosary, Town Sports Posters, Bestwork, Sauganash Golf Club, Howard Printing Company, the St. Joseph Herald-Palladium and the Fort St. Joseph Archaeology Project.
I taught university communication and graphic design classes for Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo Valley Community College for 15 years while also operating my agency. My courses included interpersonal communication, public speaking, business publication writing and design, crisis communication, nonverbal communication, public relations, small group conflict resolution, and public relations in organizations. In addition to teaching, I also served as the director of marketing and communications for the WMU College of Arts and Sciences for six years.
Awards and recognitions:
- Named WMU School of Communication Distinguished Communication Graduate, and innagural member of the School of Communication Alumni Advisory Board
- Received Michigan School Public Relations Association Commendable Award, for graphic design campaigns
- Served as Michigan School Public Relations Association annual conference speaker and Crisis Response Team
- Managed staff of seven interns, workers, and contractors in fulfilling graphic and web design, social media, writing and editing, and video production needs for the College and its departments
- Established 14,000-member student and alumni social networks to identify mentors and donor prospects from each department in the College
- Led the conversion of 26 College department websites over a three-year period
- Planned, organized, and operated college events for up to 5,000 guests
- Named influential educator, mentor, internship adviser, and instructor by undergraduate students and interns, WMU
- Recognized with President John M. Dunn letter of commendation for WMU annual report
- Michigan Humanities Council Award for historical booklet series on Fort St. Joseph Archeology Project
Areas of Expertise
- Business Strategy & Planning
- Human Resources & Internal Communications
- Sales, Marketing & Public Relations
- Media and Communications
- Arts and Entertainment
- Educational Services
- Marketing, Advertising and Creative Services
- Consulting, Research and Business Services
- Nonprofit, Public and Professional Organizations
M.A. Communication, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, Cum laude
B.A. Public Relations and Marketing, Nazareth College, Nazareth, MI, Cum laude
A.A. Business Administration and Social Work, Kellogg Community College, Battle Creek, MI, Cum laude
Certified e-learning instructor
Adobe InDesign instructor
Baccalaureate writing instructor
I am highly experienced with:
Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Photoshop)
Adobe Acrobat Pro
Microsoft Office Suite
Facebook, Facebook Ads, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, Vimeo, Wave (accounting), Outlook, webmail, Google, Analytics, Issuu.com, and more
Apple/Macintosh computer products, iPads, and iPhones
Personal areas of continuing educational interest include Photoshop/Elements/Lightroom, email marketing, public speaking, Apple products, graphic design, social media, nonverbal communication, gender differences in communication, affiliate marketing, and public speaking.